Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Skip the Restaurant & Cook with Friends

So many of our social gatherings happen around food. We go out for coffee, for lunch, for dessert, for dinner. I looked back on a couple months of bank statements just to see what I spent on food other than groceries and I was surprised to find that I could make a car payment and one month of car insurance with all the money I spent at coffee shops, restaurants, and fast food joints.

It begins to feel like, "If I want to see my friends, I am going to spend a load of dough on going to restaurants."

And of course, it might seem weird if you continually suggest going on a picnic just so you can brown bag your lunch.


So is my only option to just become a hermit, a social pariah, so I can eat my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches of shame huddled in the corner of my living room?

My New Habit: instead of always meeting at a restaurant, invite friends over to make meals together.
However, cooking together is a whole new adventure! I have experienced so much more joy with my friends by trying a new recipe in the kitchen rather than ordering a new dish at the latest vogue bistro.



The perks of cooking together:
  • Cooking together provides a shared experience that is unique to whoever is sharing it. You can't help but bond when you cook together
  • The kitchen fills with laughter-wearing silly aprons and figure out what chopping a carrot julienne means

  • It is a more cost-effective way to eat meal
  • Cooking a meal together provides a natural conversation outlet
  • There is someone who can help you do the dishes when all is said and done

  • You have the ability to make healthier meals in realistic portions

Ideas of how to make it an ongoing adventure with friends:
  • You can split up the ingredients list between friends
  • Even lunch can become a "build your own" salad or sandwich at home

  • Make it a challenge to see how inexpensive you can make your meals

  • Take turns with friends bringing the recipe

And when the meal is done being prepared, there is a greater enjoyment when it is time to eat. I feel like I have earned my meal! I love that sense of accomplishment!



I also think I tend to take more joy in eating when I prepare my own meal. I mean, I spent all that time cooking, I'm not going to wolf down my food, I'm going to savor every bite I slaved over. Eating slowly prevents overeating since your stomach has time to catch up with your mouth, all in all helping me to eat healthy portions.

And just for fun, here are a couple of my favorite recipes to cook with friends:

1 comment:

  1. we were just talking about all the money we spend out on food- and we have gotten better! im all about cooking at home. we always make people come here so garrison can hang out, or i figure out what i have and what someone else has and we come together for dinner. i want YOU to come for dinner :)

    ReplyDelete