Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Declutter Your Brain

I go through our day making a list in my head; I think we all do.


Take a shower, try to get the squeeze the remaining shampoo out of the bottle. Pick up Shampoo.


Brush my teeth with my electric toothbrush, which is loosing its vigor. Get AA batteries.


Put on my makeup for the day, routing around old eyeshadow containers, mascara tubes, etc. Clean out makeup bag.


This happens all day with burned out light bulbs, needed groceries, piles of mail, and on and on and on. However, most likely, we don't simply take care of the list, so we relive it the next day, and the next, and the next. I just stick an "oh yeah" on the front of my list items.

I learned from a co worker that every time I thought those thoughts in my mental "to do" list, I was expending unnecessary energy and stress. My brain became cluttered by "to dos" that never go done.


Declutter the brain:
  1. Grab a pen and paper and stick it by your night stand

  2. The next day, keep this pad with you and write down every "to do" you think on that pad throughout the day (Now the list has become tangible!)

  3. Maybe repeat this for a couple days.

  4. Now, put a date next to each item. What can be taken care of tomorrow? this weekend? next week? next month?

  5. Use your original list and create a list for every date you wrote down. I love the 4x6 post-its for these!

  6. Stick these post-its on your calendar or bulletin board and cross items off as you accomplish the task. It will feel so good!

Ultimately, this will help the environment and the wallet because it will help you group your tasks and errands so you do less daily driving around. Instead, you can get into the car with a plan of attack!

No comments:

Post a Comment