Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Saving the Planet, One Load of Laundry at a Time

I try to keep laundry a once a week event in our house. We were trying to figure out how to cut corners and save the planet, and reducing water usage seemed a practical way to do that. The goal was to limit our household to doing three loads per week:




  • One load of laundry for me

  • One load of laundry for my husband

  • One load of household (sheets, towels, rags, etc.)
One load of laundry per person, per week.

This is an average, and the general rule is that all clothes are washed on cold (another money-saving tip), and households are washed on warm.

The surprise result of doing laundry this way was that I noticed my closet was still bursting with clothes on laundry day. However, my favorite pieces were always in the laundry, leaving clothes I had lukewarm feelings toward hanging in my closet, untouched, unworn, unused.

I concluded that I have more clothes than I need or wear (which I'm sure most of us do), and it was time for the purging of the closet!

Less clothes = less laundry!

1 comment:

  1. Thats such a nice and a practical way to save water!
    I hope this process is not temporary and continues.
    I also hope others are inspired and encouraged by this!

    http://modestmodel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete