Friday, February 6, 2009

Debit or Credit? Neither.

I don't think about what I am spending when I am using a card, and I'm often surprised how $3 here and $5 there add up quickly, and I've spent $50 or $100 without thinking.

Proverbs 23:5
"Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle."

Ain't that the truth.

I had to change the way I was spending money and made the switch to cash.

I use my budget to figure out how much money you have for: groceries, gas, entertainment, and other monthly expenses aside from bills, tithe, savings, and charitable donations. Then, I made little envelope pouches for each category. Each paycheck, I withdraw cash and separate the cash into the respective envelopes.

There are a number of advantages to this method:

  • It prevents identity theft: We hear so much about how using our debit cards and credit cards open us up to identity theft. Using cash prevents your account number from being mishandled by a business.

  • It saves money in bank charges for accidental overdraft and other charges: When the cash is spent, that's it.

  • It prevents credit card debt: Again, when the cash is spent, that's it.

  • It forces you to deal with the most important budget items first, not last: You have to pay bills, put money into a savings account, etc. before withdrawing cash, so you become more intentional about financial responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment