Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cha-Ching with Change

I realized pretty quickly that when I started working in all cash (instead of cards), that I ended up with a lot of change by the end of the day.
Time to bring back the piggy bank! At the end of every day, I empty the wallet, pockets, and car consul and throw all the change in a tin.



I consider change as money spent or unusable, even when it is still in my wallet. So, it just builds through the day and through the weeks!



If you want to take it a step further, you can put a little post it on the "bank" that could indicate something specific you are saving for, like "shoes" or "Disneyland."


I, however, am not that good and tend to let the change build up for 2 months, and usually find there was an unplanned expense of some sort (like a recent parking ticket I received) and use the money to pay for that.


I'm a fan of the Coinstar machines at the grocery store. I just dump all my coins in the machine, take my receipt to customer service, and get cash. However, it does take around an 8% cut for doing the counting for you, so if you are wanting to keep that 8% then use that mindless television-watching time to roll those coins.


The biggest treat is seeing how that change builds up, and all of a sudden I have extra money that would have easily been spent if I used my debit card rather than cash.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe we could save our change, to buy a coin counter/roller.

    Adam Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you go through my pockets too for change... So that's were my change goes to...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy someone else collects change like me... I just thought it was me and Barack Obama...

    ReplyDelete