Sunday, February 8, 2009

Shopping with a Social Conscience

Shopping with a social conscience means to me:

  1. Reducing or halting oppression of human beings around the world
  2. Supporting the fellow American and the American economy
I don't think any of us want to support a sweatshop; we don't want to contribute to or continue the oppression of human beings. And given the opportunity, we would choose to help stop the oppression of our fellow brothers and sister in humanity.


However, much clothing is manufactured outside of the U.S., and the truth is, I do not know how other countries, namely second- or third-world countries, treat their employees. Mostly, I hear its bad. I took a peek at the tags of the clothes in my closet, and found a veritable who's who of countries known to have problems with poverty: Indonesia, India, Honduras, Vietnam, El Salvador, etc.


I'm pretty sure I have contributed to the oppression of the poor without a thought. I don't want to continue that trend in my life: thoughtless spending with possible anti-humanitarian consequences.


I am trying to change my shopping habits. What's my method?

  1. Buy American (look for the "Made in U.S.A." label)


  2. Buy used


  3. Borrow (not buy) items from friends that I will only need for one or two uses

With the American economy in the dumps, it is even more important to put our American dollars back into America. I want to support our home town businesses, factories, and manufacturers. Do a little homework, and look for American-made products.


Some of my favorite brands that are made in the U.S.A. are

Buying used also puts money back into the local economy as most thrift stores are putting money back into the local community and local aid for those in need. Buying used also reduces waste, helping out our environment.

Plus, some stores will give you cash or store credit for items that you bring in, which is a great money-saver. If shopping is about wasting time, socializing with friends, and the thrill of the hunt, there is no better adventure than diving into a thrift store. A couple of my favorites are:


It's true, I probably won't ever be a fashionista, but I can change the world one outfit at a time. I can't help what I already own. Those are dollars already spent and goods owned. However, I can change my shopping habits starting today.

No comments:

Post a Comment